Monday, August 23, 2004

Women of Faith

I should have mentioned earlier that the conference I attended this weekend was as super as I'd hoped it would be. Not only did I get to see my partners in crime have a wonderful time, I also received blessings of my very own.

When I had to pick between Omaha and St. Louis, I went with the Omaha location so that I would be able to see Nichole Nordeman. I have a passing familiarity with some of her music and thought I might enjoy it. Uh, yeah. As I sat in the dark watching her perform, tears just streamed down my face. I don't know why -- I wasn't sad. But I was touched in some very, very deep place. I related this to my husband later and he shrugged philosophically. We both agreed that sometimes it's good to sit in the dark and cry.

This conference is always so joyful. These speakers are so down-to-earth, vulnerable, available. Though it was hard to pick a favorite from so many terrific speakers, I have to say I was most moved by Patsy Clairmont. I was also so impressed by her kindness out on the concourse -- with a show organizer tugging at her elbow and a crowd of fans pressing in around her she patiently signed every last item, including my friend D's book. Sandi Patty was a surprise performer (replacing CeCe Winans at the last minute) and "oh, wow". You've heard the expression "raise the roof"? Well, she tore it off. What a voice.

I also took some silly satisfaction in the fact that nearly every men's room was changed to a ladies'. Porcelain gender reassignment, I guess. Bravo, Qwest Center!

As we arrived back home on Saturday night, T said he could feel the "estrogen wave" from the driveway to the house. We are women, hear us roar. Hear us worship. Hear us rejoice!

1 comment:

. said...

Sounds like a fun conference. :o) Patsy Clairmont is so funny, and I really like Nichole Nordeman.