Wednesday, June 08, 2005

dressed to kill

I'm not going to go there ... I'm not... OK, I already did but I'm not going again. I don't want to go back to feeling crappy and mean again. I want to be nice. I promise.

Maybe it's the outfit. I'm wearing a dress I thought I looked cute in 5 years ago. I put it on today out of laziness and when I got to work this morning I realized I was dressed like every other dumpy middle aged woman here. And I thought "If one person tells me I look cute in this dress who isn't a good looking man today then I know I look as washed-out, middle-aged, plain, low fashion-sense, Wal-Mart variety hausfrau as I feel. Before I hit the front door, an older middle-aged woman I work with calls out "cute dress" and I feel like ripping it off on the spot. This dress is making me homicidal. Much the same way that the wearing of light blue striped seersucker suits makes me want to choke the wearers.

Green plaid is rearranging my brain chemistry in some awful new way.

I'm even being mean to people I like today. I need to stop this mood right now before I start giving people fodder for one paragraph comments in my personnel report. Before I spoil my own day -- to hell with everyone else.

I'm stuck at work, what can I do to make myself be in a better mood? Help please. All I know to do is pray and have caffeine. And maybe some little chocolate donuts. Then I'll be too fat for this dress.

3 comments:

Mitchelina said...

Thanks Ethan. :-)

Chixulub said...

I don't know about the dress, you didn't put a picture up. But men aren't that observant, and especially of market trends.

What men do notice, often to the detriment of their marriages, is how their wife looks before makeup and clothes in the morning while she's hollering at recalcitrant kids who won't get ready for school, reminding their husbands of all the things that didn't get done, and so on. Then they go to work and notice a woman who's cool, calm and collected, put together in a dress & makeup, etc.

Never mind that the coworker cum object of desire, looked and sounded more or less like their wife did before she got in her car and headed to work.

Mitchelina said...

alas, too true.