Wednesday, June 29, 2005

busy day

Sometimes work is such a blessing. It gives me a place to dump all my frustrated energy and become absorbed in something besides my own endlessly whirling personal thoughts. Today I helped map out my company's new consumer website redesign-- a badly needed update that should really add some value for customers stumbling through the chemical darkness. I returned phone calls, wrote, sent e-mails, usual stuff. I felt capable and competent.

Professionally and personally I still can't help but wonder what the future will be for me. In the movies, glimpses in to the future are always sort of ominous (Ada's look in to the wishing well in Cold Mountain, for instance). It's possible, I guess, that I could look in to the crystal ball and find only bad things. But how much better would I feel if I could see just far enough to get to something good? A new job for T, another vacation somewhere wonderful, college graduation for A, something on my wish list coming true.

I guess there is no crystal ball. Only faith that God and his archangel Time will make all things right again. And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why faith is so tricky. When you need it most is when it's the hardest to have.

2 comments:

lizmo said...

For an interesting look (if somewhat creepy) on "seeing your future," a big piece of the movie "Big Fish" (with Albert Finney and Ewan McGregor, as well as Billy Crudup) is the fact that the father (Finney/McGregor) visits a witch (well, he says he does, most of the movie is about his capacity for hyperbole and telling "whoppers") who shows him and all his little teenybop friends how they will die.
This vision informs McGregor/Finney's entire life. Whether or not that is a good thing is for the viewer to judge. It's a Tim Burton flick, so you have to weigh that going in.
The occult part would probably turn you off (even though it's just that one pivotal part), but that's the most recent movie I've seen that tackles "should we know our future" as part of its plot.
My answer is, no, I don't want to know the future. It would kill my initiative.

Chixulub said...

Hi, I'm Chixulub, and I'm a Workaholic.

Hi, Chixulub!

At times of family crisis I've definitely sought shelter in the office. Being hourly, there's a financial incentive to take overtime when it's available, but when nothing at home makes rational sense or follows adult rules of engagement, there's a peace to the office. Even when you're struggling to meet a deadline, you're surrounded by people who are playing the same game by the same rules. It can be very comforting.

Of course, as Dr. Laura, the Uberscold, points out, a career doesn't come to Thanksgiving Dinner.

I don't often agree with her, but I think she at least got a piece of one there...