Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Happy Hump Day

In the summers of 1986, 1987 and 1988 I was a camp counselor at Camp Towanyak. What might have been just a summer job to some was a real live life changing experience for me. I met two of my best friends and my ex-husband there. I also learned to rappel and start a one-match fire (a skill that still comes in handy). I fought off marshmallow-crazed raccoons and beer-crazed trespassers. I entertained sticky, weary, homesick girls week after week and learned something about kids that has served me well as a stepmother of two. I learned to meet new people and how to say goodbye and that sometimes you have to give up the things you love because it's the right thing to do. I also laughed more during those sweltering summers than I'd ever laughed in my whole life.

Because of Towanyak, I invariably think of Wednesdays as hump days. Camp always had an abundance of Hallmark-donated stickers, toys, plaques, mugs and other items. On Wednesdays we could always look for one of these gifts in our mailbox. We weren't celebrating anything special - just the passing of another week. Yet the memory is still with me -- and I still feel a little relieved when Wednesday arrives. Though I miss the trinket, I won't forget the feeling of accomplishment I got from having made it through another week unscathed.

So Happy Hump Day. I'll leave you some virtual gifts in your mailbox: a stuffed critter and some Wacky Packs. Just 2 more days until the weekend and then you're home free. In the meantime, do what work needs to be done, sing songs, make a friend and laugh as much as you can.

No comments: