Wednesday, March 30, 2005

April is ...

Every day I look out from our building at work up to the scrubby trees and brush growing along the low cliffs that separate downtown from the West Bottoms, looking for signs of life. At last, I see a pale green haze... the first buds and news leaves of spring.

The crabapples, forsythia, pears, daffodils and hyacinth are blooming -- it's supposed to be a beautiful weekend: our first camping weekend of the year.

April around the midwest means spring but it's also Autism Awareness Month. My friend S sent me this e-mail today... her daughter is autistic.


Dear friends and family,
I realize you all are busy with kids, jobs and life...but I have a little thing to discuss with you. It will only take a minute.

April is autism awareness month. I know you are all "aware" of autism because of M, but I just wanted to chat about a few things:
*Although it may be a factor for some kids, we DO NOT think vaccines caused or prompted autism in M's case.
*When you ask questions about her behavior/sleep/words etc. it does not bother us. We prefer that you ask, rather than guess.
*Kids with autism do not understand personal property. So if you have a Coke, M may pick it up and drink it. She's not trying to be rude - she just doesn't process why she can't have it.
*Most kids with autism do not understand facial expressions/social cues/body language. It is like a secret code they can't crack.
*Autism is a neurological disorder.
*Autism occurs 1 in 250 kiddos.

If you want to support autism research , you can go to
www.asjck.org, www.autism-society.org, or call me.
If you would like to support a local family with their in-home therapy: Mason's parents are trying to continue in-home therapy due to insurance restrictions. They are selling blue Autism Advocate bracelets (same type as those LiveStrong ones) for $5 each. Let me know if you want one. Mason is in M's communications class.

Please don't feel obligated to spend any money. Just say a prayer that some kind of cure or therapy or cause will be found someday to help these kids achieve all they are capable of.

Thanks for your time!!

My friend Stacie is a tough, wonderful, loving mom and friend. She's like a lot of moms and dads out there -- just trying to help their kids make it in a world that doesn't always make sense. I include this today to honor her and let her know how much I respect her and all she does.

If you want to help Mason's family, let me know. If you want to just donate to the association, you can get a bracelet through the Autism Association website (listed above). And -- at no cost to you-- you can pray. I hope you will.

"A man is powerful on his knees." -Corrie ten Boom

No comments: