Monday, March 21, 2005

i am unfashionable

When I was a non-custodial stepmama, I walked round in ignorant bliss of urban fashion, pop music, cell phone couture and conversations involving the use of the word "dawg". I liked that.

Now I know way more than I want to know about Southpole, Marc Ecko, Baby Phat and Enyce. These are what has replaced Abercrombie, American Eagle, etc. in my girl-child's fashion vocabulary. Her migration from preppy surf & skate wear to urban baby-got-back wear is, I know, a product of her new school. Her mother hates it. I worry about it because I don't want her to start acting like something she's not. She's ever one to take on the colors of her surroundings, like a pretty little chameleon. Although in fairness, she's always preferred sporty clothing and these brands do run along those lines.

I just wish she would lead, instead of always following.

I wonder when I became unfashionable?

No comments: