Friday, April 01, 2005

audience of one

20 years ago, my mother sat in a darkened auditorium watching me act on stage. She sat in the audience while I sang thin, slightly off-key solos at school concerts. She attended the music department awards breakfast when I got my vocal award -- not for being good but for being tenacious. Her smile of approval meant more to me than the cold words from a so-called friend who said I sucked and didn't deserve it.

She was there for every single thing I ever did. In 4 years, she never missed. She was my audience of one.

Last night, I became K's audience for the first time. And I never appreciated my mother more than in that moment, feeling exhausted from the day, sitting in a darkened auditorium with a quarter tank of gas in my car, 2 hours worth of work to do at home and another day just like that one tomorrow.

In so many ways, I have become my mother. What an honor.

1 comment:

bella said...

How wonderful :)