Monday, February 16, 2009

September 17, 2007


Atchison Contest and the sad decline of my cranium

Because T and I are so competitive, it was neccessary for him to enter his own dessert this week -- his favorite cream cheese pie, the one that he used to "woo" me. I like this best with cherries and he prefers blueberries but we decided for competition to try peaches.

We headed to Atchison (with the meat, this time) and as usual, were the last ones in. We made it for the cook's meeting but got in to a land dispute with our neighbor (the organizers assigned us to the same spot) and ended up having to rehitch and move. The rest of the weekend went really well. Our schedule was relaxed, our boxes all looked nice and our neighbors were fun. At awards, Tim won FIRST PLACE in dessert, right off the bat! Then a call for 9th place chicken and I thought "Oh wow, we're on it". But no, the pork and brisket tanked and the ribs only finished 12th.

Now we have a long winter to rethink our strategies for next spring. We judge next Saturday and then go racing at the end of the month. Then a little fall camping and another year gone by.

The BBQ circuit is a killer but by the time we go to awards I get so pumped that I start planning for the next one. It's sick, really.

Sunday we went to Worlds of Fun with Karissa & Alex. No lines, cool weather, a little rain but not too much... should have been perfect. But turns out that in my advancing age, I have become motion sick on not only spinning things but also the rollercoasters. Nevertheless I gutted my way through the Patriot, the Mamba, and the Boomerang before finally resigning myself to bumper cars only. I am old and now, really, really lame to boot. At least there are no rides at the Renaissance Festival. And next weekend I get to judge someone else's BBQ for a change. Ha! Take that!

No comments: