Tuesday, March 14, 2006

do you know me? a love letter to my true friends

I want to believe that if you don't like me it's because you don't know me. Recently I was told that "there were a lot of people who didn't like me". I was also told that "a lot of people had changed their minds about me over time" and like me better now than they did. In the beginning, they thought I was snotty and stuck up.

Well, guys, I'm almost 39 years old and this isn't high school. I have consumed too much emotional energy worrying about who likes me and who doesn't. I have appeared stuck up because I was so afraid I wouldn't be liked that I didn't let anyone get close enough to decide for themselves if I am a good person or not. I have made myself hard to know. I didn't mean to, it just happened.

To the people who really know me, who hang around me, I think you do like me -- otherwise why waste your time? So I thank you for not judging this book by my cover. It would have been easy to do. I thank you for seeing past my defenses and being patient for me. I'm mystified as to why you would but profoundly grateful that you did.

2 comments:

~Les said...

If we lived closer, I'd totally be your friend...and I just know the *internet you* I'm with you though. I'm not in school anymore, so if someone likes me, swell. If not, they can bite me. :0)

~O

Melodee said...

I hear you!