Monday, February 13, 2006

Short ruminations on Valentine's Day


So is Valentine's Day a made up Hallmark holiday? An excuse for flower shops and restaurants to make a few extra bucks? There's a part of me that wants to remain above it all but then there's that other part that loves to have any reason to celebrate... Whether it's roses or a homemade card, I'm game for anything that comes my way and will just as enthusiastically search out the perfect expression of my own affection.

Valentine's Day has been celebrated since around 1400, the first commercial Valentine's greetings were popularized in the 1840s. I'm pretty sure that predates Hallmark and American Greetings so it seems that love expressions don't have to come with a red envelope and a $4.95 price tag. And who am I to buck 600 years of tradition anyway?

Beyond the horror of the classroom parties where you only got valentines because everyone had to give one to each kid in class, my Valentine's have been mostly good. I remember the Valentine's Days in high school sans boyfriend, when my girlfriends and I would comfort each other with dollar carnations sold by the student council. My best Valentine's Day, or at least the one I remember best, was a few years ago when T was on the road. I arrived home to find a bright red foil Russell Stover's box on the table. I was a little puzzled that the lid didn't seem to fit but figured he has snuck a piece. So I lifted the lid to find a black velvet ring box in the center and inside, a diamond cocktail ring (T is a big fan of Kay's holiday promotions. Bless the man who understands that jewelry is always appropriate!!)

So I will celebrate Valentine's Day with pleasure this year: I have a day to find a way to say "thanks" to the man who's put up with my butt for the last (almost) 13 years. It doesn't seem adequate but it will have to do for now.

No comments: