Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Miss Fix-it

(image from artchixstudio.com)

I'm a Picture straightener.

I can't help it. I'm a compulsive miss fix-it and the only thing I really hate is the thing I can't fix.

I can't fix things that happened in the past.
I can't fix other people.
I can't fix the weather.
I can't fix other people's money problems.
I can't fix what God has decided will be otherwise.

But I want to. I want to wave my magic wand and make people whole and healthy. I want to sprinkle fairy dust and make my friend's daughter slender so she doesn't have to face a lifetime of weight issues. I want some extra strength fairy dust for my other friends' children, both special needs kids, both with uncertain futures. I want a pocket full of magic to make marriages healed and families whole and the places I used to love to feel like home again. I want a problem I can solve. I want everyone I love to want my love.

Just dub me Glinda the Witch of Good Intentions. The bubbly blonde with the broken wand. How does one survive in a world where problems just won't go away?

I guess I'll continue to pick away at the things I can fix. Like small time home repair. My weight. My lame pack a week smoking habit, which I am psyching myself up to stop, soon. After all this time I still forget that the only things I can truly fix are the things within me.

No comments: