Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Will the real Christianity please stand up?

I was raised Catholic in a lazy, slipshod, not-tending-the-garden sort of way. I was baptized and then when it was time for communion, my mom bolted and left me with my dad, who was not the Catholic in the family. I did have my first confession though and finally received communion of my own volition when I was 16. Never confirmed. Switched to an evangelical, non-denominational church 5 years ago.

I love my church. But I still get confused about some of the things Protestantism teaches. I understand what this guy is saying about the different views of sanctification/justification in Protestant vs. Catholic doctrine. What shocked me was his statement, if I'm understanding him right, that if you didn't believe in the Protestant version, you're not going to heaven. His whole premise is that it's shameful for Protestants to be so tolerant of Catholics because Protestants bled and died for the right to their beliefs and Catholicism is just, well, wrong. As I understand the Bible, the only thing that's required for salvation is to believe that Jesus is your Lord and Savior. So, I'm thinking, this guy's wacked.

Then there's the argument that there are only 2 reasons to leave a marriage: adultery and if one spouse is a Christian and the other is a non-believer. Many Christian resources state that abuse is NOT a reason to divorce, only a reason to separate. I think this is a totally irresponsible teaching in any church and honestly, I reject it. After 2 years as a volunteer at a battered women's shelter, I can't believe God would want any woman to endure what I've seen some people suffer.

Here's what I worry about: that my fellow Christians are getting too caught up in dogma created by radio show hosts and book authors and not reading the Word for themselves, then listening for the "still, small voice" that informs them.

What happened to love? Not "love, but..." -- but "love and..."

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.
-Corinthians 13:4-8

1 comment:

Mitchelina said...

Suzanne, these days I'm angry about everything.

I'll accept those prayers, thanks.