Friday, May 27, 2005

Random thoughts for Memorial Day

I'm still alive.

Vegas was so very busy and I spent a great deal of it on the show floor (National Hardware Show). Meetings, dinners, lots of vodka and wine and very little sleep. That pretty much sums it up. I do recommend to anyone that if you go to Vegas, check out the VooDoo Lounge which is very high and when we were there, pretty tame (about 9:30-11:30 on a Wednesday) but I hear it's gets really crazy. I didn't want crazy, just a drink and a view. And I got both. Also Michael Mina at the Bellagio has the most perfect service of any restaurant I have ever been to. But I could never afford it on my own... for what we had it would be about $300 for 2. But oh, wow. Amazing.

Since then, it's been strictly ground floor. Meetings, work, a doctor's appointment and trying to catch up on my zzzz's.

On another subject: you know how everyone always has those "most embarassing moments"... I never could really think of one but I just got one the other day... my mother gave me a beautiful silk skirt (wrap) that ties on the left hip. I kept meaning to throw on a slip (even though it was lined) but it was 5 a.m. on the day of my meeting and I was in a hurry to catch a plane. So when the plane lands in Nashville I'm fighting with my bag (luckily my co-worker was a few bodies in front of me) and I get almost to the door and the skirt ... just ... falls OFF. See, silk comes untied all by itself. So as smoothly as I could I grab up the fabric and step sideways in to the row of seats to my left. Sit down, retie, rearrange and get off. Don't look at anyone. Don't look sideways, back, say nothing, just collect up my tattered pride and pretend. Next time I'll put on a damned slip. Thank God I don't wear thong underwear. I could almost pretend nothing happened except I HEARD a woman gasp just at the moment it fell. Perfect. I'll be double-knotting in the future.

I see I'm getting close to 1000 visitors -- I'd like to hit it by June 8 for the yorkistrose one year anniversary. So keep reading and I'll try to keep writing until then.

Happy Memorial Day all,
rose

Decoration Day is the most beautiful of our national holidays.... The grim cannon have turned into palm branches, and the shell and shrapnel into peach blossoms. ~Thomas Bailey Aldrich

No comments: