Thursday, May 12, 2005

The other men in my life

How Workplace Couples Keep Each Other Happy

I thought it was just me.

I'm on what my real spouse and I call my third "work husband". I've always been inclined to make friends with men and have very friendly relationships with many of my male co-workers, past and present. In fact, my strongest and best work relationships are with guys.

Yes, it can lead to looks, gossip, questions. Like when the accounting department starting spreading the rumor that work husband #2 and I were sleeping together last year. Because we went to a couple of movies together when we were traveling. Utterly bogus conclusion. And I was really hurt. But I've decided that it shouldn't matter because the only person that should be concerned about my extra-marital activities doesn't worry about me being unfaithful. Work husbands #2 & #3 now joke that it's a threesome.

The WSJ article is just more fodder for my developing theory that healthy friendships outside of marriage are not just important -- they're essential. Work husband #1 is still one of my best friends and I always look forward to talking with him and getting pictures of his new daughter. And we still give each other career advice and encouragement.

What it is, really, is knowing that you have a safe harbor in the sea of politics that is corporate culture. It trumps loneliness on the road to travel with someone who can order your drink for you while you're in the ladies'. In my industry I'm always outnumbered by men -- sometimes 10 to 1. It's only natural to have a guy or two in your corner in case things get crazy.

And on that note, if you don't hear from me again, I'm off to Vegas Monday-Thursday for work. Mom is going with me. My stepdad had a dream that she's going to win $2.5 million on a dollar slot while she's there. If she does, I told her we're spending the weekend.

No comments: