Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Cautious Optimism

There is a person who lost his job but keeps a brave face for his kids and his wife.

There is a person who just lost a baby.

There is a person who takes medication for the depression she's suffered from for years and no one knew.

There is a person whose wife threw him out.

There is a person whose ex-wife is taking the kids and moving away.

There is a person who worries at night about if the cysts in his child's body are cancerous.

There is a person raising a toddler alone.

There is a person who nearly lost her home.

There is a person whose drinking has gone out of control.

There is a person whose husband almost walked away.

I know all these people. I watch them all keeping their secrets so only the actor's mask is what the world sees. Collectively their hearts break, heal awkwardly and break again, sometimes along those old wound lines and sometimes in fresh places. How do they keep smiling? How do they wake up each day and face whatever comes next?

Cautious optimism. It's my favorite phrase by which to live.

Here's my theory in a nutshell:If you concentrate only on the bad stuff, that's all you see. And really, something bad happens every minute of the day. Some bad things are really bad (death): some just seem so at the time (losing a job-- but later you get a better one). Some things are good -- but subtly so -- and maybe you miss them (clean kids in PJs hugging you goodnight). Some things are awesome, once-in-a-lifetime good (swimming with dolphins). I want to look for the good. I want to anticipate being happy. I have to believe. I won't pretend that there isn't a dump truck of crap looking to unload in my yard but I'm going to believe that it's not coming today. That's what I call cautious optimism.

Share it. Maybe it will help someone you know -- the one whose heart is breaking.

No comments: