Thursday, September 01, 2005

Heart to Heart and more hurricane thoughts

If anyone is interested, Heart to Heart International is asking for both monetary donations and donations of care kits. The directions are very specific but easy and clear. I think it's a great thing to do with kids and I plan on doing a box full myself.

I don't think it's overstating things to say that this may now be the worst natural disaster in US history. When the bodies are recovered and the losses counted I think it's going to be very clear.

On a related note:
Most kids are pretty lucky to be so insulated from the problems of the world. I was definitely one of them. If anyone had told me when I was a teenager how much life could suck sometimes, I'd have politely declined my grownup membership card. I'd definitely have dragged college out for 2 more years, instead of being so anxious to get out into the world. Alas, too late. My prayer list is growing longer ... in the last two weeks a good friend was divorced, my niece may have cancer, a friend of a friend may have cancer, a co-worker's brother is still missing on the gulf coast of MS.

Sometimes I feel like there aren't enough prayers for all the hurt but then I have to remind myself, it only takes one. Just one.

PS - If you saw my earlier note about my co-worker's brother having been located, please disregard. Unfortunately, I misheard her. They have located a newspaper reporter in Alabama who has family in Gautier and has offered to go by her brother's house and look for them. If they aren't there, they'll go to the shelter and check there. The good news for now is that there are no reported deaths in Gautier. And maybe they'll have news soon.

1 comment:

Chixulub said...

It sounds like you're in the landfall of your own personal hurricane.