Thursday, September 08, 2005

favorite season?

Last night K asked me "mom, what's your favorite holiday?" Far be it from me to be a traditionalist but I am definitely a Christmas girl. The season captures for me the essence of human kindness. Everyone seems a little friendlier, a little softer, a little happier. I think of frosty windows, hot chocolate, the whole package.

She asked me about my favorite season. It used to be fall but I have to say over the last few years, fall has begun to depress the crap out of me. Everything's dying. And here comes another, just when I least can handle it.

My vote? I'll go with early summer, when the leaves are still fresh and green and the thick dust and oppressive heat have not yet settled in. Summer is birthdays and barbecues and fireflies and long evenings that come on very slowly.

Anyone want to weigh in with their favorites?

No comments: