Monday, August 29, 2005

Angelita

I don't know if A will jump on here again before the plane leaves for Spain on Thursday but I want to ask anyone who reads this to send up some prayers for her. Between now and Christmas her life will change radically. She will turn 21, she will live independently from all her friends and family and she will become completely absorbed in another culture and language.

This girl whom I coaxed into halting friendship with the offer of a french braid for her thick brown hair, who hid her thumb fetish under the funny papers, this girl who wept bitterly when her baby sister was punished ... this girl who has been so patient with my idiot attempts at parenting these last years -- this girl is now a woman and it's time for her to fly.

She's so brave, this woman. And crazy enough to run in to a burning building, for real. She's also tender, prickly, funny, pretty, pragmatic and opinionated. She is so much like me in so many ways, both good and bad. She could be mine even though she is not. But even her parents can't say "she's mine" -- here's the thing. She's her own and she always has been.

God, please hold and keep our Angie safe and well and grant her joy. Give her safe travels to and from and let her know how much she's loved. We love her enough to push this little bird from her nest, at last.

Vaya con Dios, Angelita.

1 comment:

lizmo said...

Saving people from fire, wow. I'm very impressed. Good for her, and I hope her trip is also good for her.
I have step-kids too. It's such an interesting position to be in. An honor.
I hope your visit to her later on is also wonderful. :)