Monday, April 24, 2006

The perfect job

So in the enthusiasm of my youth I thought there would be such a thing as the perfect job. I wasn't going to fall in to some career like my father did, uh-huh. I was gonna plan for it and make it happen and spend the rest of my life making amazing money and loving every minute of my 8- to 5.

I think perfect jobs are a myth. Granted, there are some very cool jobs out there: greeting card writer, book editor, park naturalist, travel writer or a movie reviewer. There are people making a living as ice cream tasters, for pity's sake! But even those jobs probably have their drawbacks: writer's block, lost luggage, brain freeze.

Just for the record, while I never found the "perfect job", I did find one I liked. I feel incredibly fortunate when I have a day that feels more like play than labor. I do feel a little green now and then when I see people making a living as stage actors, Food Network execs, talent scouts and merchandise buyers. But all in all I feel pretty grateful that I didn't make a mistake when I signed up for all those writing classes and schlepped my way through my MBA. Granted, my career's taken some pretty wierd twists but all in all I think I'm one of the fortunate ones.

Not that I wouldn't still love to be the Wildlife Manager at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. But I'm pretty happy being a marketing geek at a Small-to-Midsize Manufacturer in the Midwest. If this is where I retire, so be it. But please God don't let it be with the same title, pay and position.

Feel Inspired: Love My Job

2 comments:

Chixulub said...

Pat Walsh writes of meeting a woman at a cocktail party who worked for a circus. 'Really? What's that like?' He's all excited until she says, 'It's a lot of paperwork.'

I think almost every job, if you examined it fully, would be hard to believe a person does without going snarky crackers. But then, if it was all as fun as the 10% that looks cool from the outside, the volunteers looking to do it for free would be asses and elbows.

~Les said...

You are truly blessed if you feel happy and fulfilled in your career most of the time. Wish I could say the same. But, it's my own fault....if I wanted to change badly enough, I'd get my arse out there and start looking for something better.

~Les