Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Dear Blackberry Guy...

I'm so glad that you were able to pull that little sleight of hand on the plane today. When the flight attendant told you to turn your Blackberry off so we could land you palmed it like a cheap magician and as soon as the wheels touched down you pulled it out from your armpit and resumed typing.

I'm so glad your life, my life and our fellow passenger's lives were less important than the message you were typing.

Loser.

End note: I'm traveling today... again. Trip number 2 of 3 in four weeks. The best part is I get HBO in the hotel so I can watch Elizabeth I. Helen Mirren rocks.

4 comments:

~Les said...

I freaking loathe people like that. How irritating. I don't think I could have sat there and let him do that. I'd probably have to call him out and embarass the crap out of him. :0)

~Les

Anonymous said...

Hi there,
I don't know if the person you are referring to was being rude and endangering your life, however I learned on a BlackBerry course (as I'm a user as well), that you can turn off the radio functions of a Blackberry and keep working on it, typing emails etc. while in flight. It simply queues all your messages until the radio is turned back on. I think that's why the flight crew says at the beginning of every flight, "Please turn off the radio or transmitting features of your devices" rather than lumping them all together as cell phones.

I have had to show flight crews previously that my radio was turned off and then they are okay with you continuing to use your BlackBerry in flight and even during take off and landing.

I don't know if this was the case during your experience, but if you see me on a flight - I'd be happy to show you and explain it to you.

One more comment in closing - it's the FCC, not the FAA that asks that cell phones be turned off. The airlines are actually not the ones asking us to turn off. Keep in mind that BlackBerry's and cell phones are terestrial and not necessarily satellite.

Thanks for letting me comment. Safe travels!
Vixen68 :)

Mitchelina said...

Vixen, thanks for the comments. All I know is that he was asked to turn it off and he declined. I thought that was pretty rude. She even made a point of asking him if it was off and he said it was. But you told me a lot I didn't know, so thanks!

Chixulub said...

I went to the cell phone store, but after checking out prices, I ended up with a raspberry and a yellow tooth...