Monday, October 03, 2005

I love books


Ever since I was a little girl I have had a real love affair with the written word. One of my early memories is my father bringing me a Hallmark Snow White pop-up book -- which I still have. I've attempted to do some writing of my own (hence this blog and the title) -- but not in a serious way. Really I read fabulous books and then give up hope of ever being that good, so I still haven't started my great American novel. Although from the looks of my friends' book projects, maybe that's a good thing...

So my list of books "on deck" consists of the following:

3 books I bought at the Cool Springs Barnes & Noble in Nashville when I was killing an afternoon waiting for the guys to finish playing golf with customers: Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, Mirror, Mirror, Oryx & Crake

Also on my list: Rebecca, The Chronicles of Narnia, the two on my All Consuming list and The Man of Her Dreams, the Woman of His (which I am reading right now).

I also have a long list of other books I'd like to read, including Freakonomics, The City of Falling Angels, Assasination Vacation, Persopolis, and Syrup.

Beautiful books. Cheaper than a vacation and great companionship for long plane rides, waiting rooms, hotel rooms in strange cities and lazy Saturday afternoons (if such a thing still exists).

1 comment:

Chixulub said...

Have to wonder if I'm an illustration of why you shouldn't try it...

'Syrup' is a must. Very funny, related you your line of work to boot. You could use some hilarity about now, right?