Friday, October 21, 2005

confessional

  • less than 2 weeks until Spain. I have not done one thing to brush up on my Spanish. I have not packed anything, I have not bought my phrasebook.
  • I like Old Navy just below waist flare jeans, they make me feel cool, which I am not.
  • my nails are getting really long again. they feel funny.
  • no matter how much hairspray I put on my hair it still looks like I've been electrified by the time 4 p.m. rolls around.
  • I absolutely am in no way ready to deal with the holidays.
  • I am absolutely in no way ready to deal with my life.
  • No matter how cool a trip I am about to take, I would always rather go somewhere else. Last year I was wishing for London on the way to Hawaii. This year I am wishing for any country that speaks English.
  • I'm afraid to go to Spain. There!! OK?? I'm afraid.
  • I'm also afraid of life after Spain.
  • Fear is not my friend. I know this but the head and heart won't connect. In fact I know many things these days -- more than I used to. But the knowledge does not translate to the sluggish regions of my patchwork heart.

Now that I've confessed it's time for penance....

2 comments:

. said...

When I went to Costa Rica a while back, I was terrified right before I left. I totally would've backed out if the airline tickets hadn't been a gift. And then I would've been sorry. It was a wonderful trip. I'm praying Spain will be that way for you. I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back.

Chixulub said...

When I visited NYC, my host suggesed that my heart attack had been premature because I 'hadn't even been to New York.'

The list that statement spawned is endless. Never finshed a publishibale novel, never committed adultery in 13 years of marriage, never learned to behave sensibily, never been to Boston in the fall...