Friday, October 01, 2004

Most Boring Blog on Earth?

In the last 24 hours I have:
1) eaten Mongolian BBQ with my coworkers
2) had an argument with my teenager
3) received tolerance and (almost) sympathy from my husband
4) watched the Presidential debate
5) watched and accordingly, yelled at/cheered, Survivor
6) eaten 2 filled donuts
7) found out my eldest stepdaughter is registering to vote for Bush
8) scammed free tickets to the Renaissance Festival
9) folded a load of laundry
10) turned my calendar over to October

In my world, any of these topics are ripe for the blogging. In the big, scary, outside world, they probably wouldn't be very inspiring to anyone else, to write about or to read. Some guy whose blog I recently skimmed commented that the most boring blogs on earth are those written by generally happy married women -- this sin of boredom is further enhanced by any mention of children and overt references to Jesus or God.

Guess that makes me guilty on all counts.

Well, I don't care! It's my blog and I'll be dull as dirt if I want to. I have decided that in my life, excitement always seems to equate with bad luck anyway. As in, "Yeah, Jim Bob and I were over at the tavern and there was a little excitement (full on brawl that ended in stitches and multiple arrests)." Or, "I don't know what you're getting so excited (really, royally, pi$$ed) about." I don't want any more excitement in my life. Maybe ever. I would like an "I'm-pleasantly-bored-out-of-my-skull-but-I-have-plenty-of-time-for-crafts" life. A "I'll-be-shopping-all-the-grocery-stores-for-the-best-deals-just-because-I-can" life. Some of my friends have been having some excitement in their lives lately... a co-worker/good friend lost a truck, boat and probably his home in Hurricane Ivan. He and his wife found a 4 day dead jellyfish in a bedroom closet. They've had to throw out every carefully-selected-to-match-the wallpaper-accent-pillow and every save-up-for-something-really-nice appliance they had. Beds, bows, tupperware, shoes, TVs, deep freeze full of food, you name it-- all ruined by 3 feet of sewage and seawater. See? Who needs excitement?

Maybe some people read blogs because they're a cheap soap-opera substitute. I personally like to read blogs with pretty pictures (something I haven't quite mastered myself) and really good writing. Not just clever writing -- there are a lot of people in the blogosphere that fancy themselves smarter and funnier than they are-- but real writing, thoughtful, perceptive and intelligent.

I personally think the most boring blog in the world is one that, like the person it's hiding, tries to be something it's not. I'll do my best to blog the real me -- in all my confused, self-centered, whiny, frank and silly glory. From my counter, it looks like I won't be boring too many people anyway.

No comments: