Thursday, September 02, 2004

Your guardian angel has had his coffee -- have you?

Ever since I saw this wallpaper earlier this week, I've been thinking a lot about it.

This world is a very scary place but I am lucky enough to be able to insulate myself from so much of it. I don't know if that's really a good thing but for the most part, I spend my days hearing about the news, not becoming the news. In my safe little cocoon, I am left to worry about K's orthodontist appointment, not the fact that she's starving to death or being held at gunpoint by terrorists.

If you google "guardian angel" you get, for the most part, these nice soft pictures of beautiful blonde female angels -- all well and fine. But personally, I want a guardian angel that is powerful, armed and ready for battle. Psalm 34:7 says: "The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them. " This is one of my favorite Bible images -- I imagine myself surrounded by a Holy circle of well-armed angels. Big muscles, shiny armour, Very sharp swords.

I thought about this all week and I couldn't figure out why I couldn't get away from the image on the wallpaper. Last night at church, my pastor talked again about the fact that we, too, are in a battle -- for our lives, our souls, our children, our neighborhoods. It finally clicked. Not only do I need a well-armed angel, I have to be ready to defend myself.

Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armour of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. Therefore put on the full armour of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled round your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. Eph 6:10-17

I'm not armed and I'm definitely not dangerous. Someday that cocoon might collapse. Someone might need me -- and I won't be ready.

Now that's scary.

No comments: