Wednesday, September 08, 2004

What is this "Emotional Maturity"???

Sometimes I forget I'm all grown up.

Yesterday morning I flew to Nashville to meet with my company's second largest customer. The VP of Sales was supposed to go, too, only someone accidentally picked up her briefcase at the security check and left with it. Her boarding pass, phone, our presentation, etc. were all inside. As I waited for her to board (not knowing what was going on) I started to panic. When the door closed, my stomach tightened into this hard little ball. No matter what happened - I knew I had to go solo. I was panicked.

When I landed in Nashville I reached her assistant and got the story. The MIA VP called me from a pay phone at the airport in KC and told me with which company the car reservation was made. I got directions from the rental car counter and she went back to the office to fax the presentation and hang out in case I needed her. I took a minute or two to collect myself. All the time, I kept reminding myself... I am not 17 anymore. I'm a grown up. I can do this. I won't get lost. I am not alone. God was right there in that Budget rent-a-car with me. I asked Him not to let me say anything stupid.

Other people sometimes have more faith in me than I do. That's a little sad.

The meeting was great. Fabulous. There were a few things I couldn't answer but the buyer was patient and he carved 2 hours out of a very busy day to have lunch with me. Driving away from the offices, I realized I crossed the border in to adulthood a long time ago. I can do whatever is required and people might not even notice that I am scared.

Maybe in some small way, I am finally reaching emotional maturity.

The Criteria of Emotional Maturity
(sent to me in a Valentine's Day card from Barnett Helzberg)

  • The ability to deal constructively with reality.
  • The capacity to adapt to change.
  • A relative freedom from symptoms that are produced by tensions and anxieties.
  • The capacity to find more satisfaction in giving than receiving.
  • The capacity to relate to other people in a consistent manner with mutual satisfaction and helpfulness.
  • The capacity to sublimate, to direct ones' instinctive hostile energy into creative and constructive outlets.
  • The capacity to love.

- William Menninger, MD (Co-founder, The Menninger Foundation)


No comments: