Monday, September 27, 2004

Quote, Endquote

Travel is ninety percent anticipation and ten percent recollection.
- Edward Streeter


I'm finally letting myself think about our vacation. We head to Hawaii on October 29, the day of our 10th anniversary. I can't imagine much past boarding the plane and my first toes-digging-in-sand moment on Waikiki -- but I'm trying. I imagine myself flying with a small tote that contains some snacks, my book and a magazine or two. It is not a briefcase and does not weigh 15 pounds. I know we'll be going on a dolphin encounter, too. Beyond that, this trip is a blank slate.

Let Go and Let God

I can't attribute that quote but I sure need to yield to it. Between K's procrastination, T's ongoing health issues and my lack of enthusiasm for cleaning toilets, I didn't have a very relaxing Sunday. I know I am bringing it upon myself - no one designated me head cattle dog. But still I find myself nipping at heels a hundred times a day. And I am becoming a little tired and a little resentful. I need to learn to leave them to the head Cowboy.

She's a girl with the weight of the world on her big brown eyes
She's a girl who's been talking to herself to apologize
She'll never do it again she promised
But then she hasn't been all that honest
Can she trust herself to be herself
Or is she talking to herself again
Hey Friday what you gonna do now
When Monday comes around...
-Switchfoot

I hate Mondays. And I am ashamed that I am not the person I so want to be. Kind, understanding, patient. I get up, I fall down. I get up...


If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?
- Steven Wright


OK, this made me laugh. I have 2 cats and a loaf of bread. Wonder what could be accomplished here? And for whatever reason, now I'm thinking of cinnamon toast, minus the cat hair.

Yasha Na

Victory Now. Not next month, next week, tomorrow or even in two hours. Pastor Jeff preached on this subject yesterday. How long before we stand up and take back that which belongs to us? As frustrated as I was this morning, I decided to try it. I said it quietly, then a bit louder, just trying it out. Finally I yelled it (I love entertaining my fellow traffic jam-ees at 8 a.m.). You know, I did feel better. I'm going to keep saying it. Yasha Na! Victory NOW!

The best time for planning a book is while you're doing the dishes.
-Agatha Christie

There's still hope. I might be the Grandma Moses of fiction writers.

2 comments:

. said...

What language is Yasha Na?

Mitchelina said...

Hebrew. It has a lot of different meanings.

http://www.htmlbible.com/sacrednamebiblecom/kjvstrongs/FRMSTRHEB34.htm