Monday, November 22, 2004

Thanksgiving

Like a lot of families, we always try to start our Thanksgiving meal by saying something we're really thankful for. Here are some of my thoughts:

  • a belief in God that stirs me to do better and be better.
  • my husband, T. We've been each other's lighthouse for a lot of years now. Steady on, T.
  • healthy, happy, well-adjusted stepdaughters who get that people need discipline and that some things must be earned.
  • My cats on either side of my ankles at night... my warm and furry bookends.
  • My parents, who not only gave me life but also explained to me that I had an obligation to use it to serve others whenever possible.
  • Friends who don't see what the rest of the world sees, but rather see the softer, kinder, funnier me that I can be when I know I'm safe.
  • A little house that is modest, unpretentious, weatherproof and comfortable enough to welcome friends and family any time someone calls and says they're a few blocks away and can they come by?
  • books, which open worlds I might never have thought of or seen.
  • music, which is often company enough and can always make me feel better.
  • A job that is interesting, rewarding and "safe" from destructive politics and poor management.
  • the gift of travel, both personal and professional.
  • living in America, where there is abundance, health, help, an incredible standard of living and the freedom to vote, worship, speak, go, create, build and love as we see fit.
  • tinted moisturizer
  • good genes
  • Weight Watchers
  • that I don't have to feel like a high school dork any more.
  • Diet Coke
  • a great sense of direction, literally and figuratively.
  • the internet
  • a good education

What are you thankful for? C'mon, I don't get many comments...

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. God bless you!


3 comments:

bella said...

Beautiful. I myself posted on my blog about being more reflective this week and grateful. Very nice post. I'm grateful for many blessings. My dad passed away last year in April and somehow my mom, brother and I seem to function and live our lives - very odd, but I'm thankful for the streghth to do so. Wishing you and your family a wonderful and yummy Thanksgiving Holiday!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have your priorities right where they need to be. Hope your Thanksgiving is warm and cozy.

. said...

I'm thankful for God's unending grace.